In This Article:
Ice and Snow Car Accidents | Pennsylvania Car Accident Numbers | What You Can Do | Recent Accidents | Contact Us
If you have been injured in an ice and snow car accident in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, or the New Jersey area by someone who slid into you, was following too close, or driving too fast for the current weather conditions, contact us right away for a free consultation.
The fact that you were injured in a car accident in snow, isn’t the fault of the snow, or any other weather condition such as rain, sleet, ice, or fog. It’s probably the fault of the driver who hit you. Our job is to hold the careless and negligent driver who hit and hurt you accountable for his or her act or failure to act in snowy and icy conditions.
Ice and Snow Car Accidents
Pennsylvania gets more than its share of snow and ice. Of course, snow and ice make driving treacherous, and due to less friction and decreased visibility and maneuverability, those weather conditions contribute to an increased number of accidents. According to the U.S. Federal Highway Administration, 24 percent of all weather-related motor vehicle collisions occur on roads with an accumulation of snow, slush, or ice. Those conditions contribute to about 1,300 traffic fatalities and more than 160,000 injuries annually. About another 900 fatalities and 76,000 injuries occur every year during snowing or sleeting weather events.
The Pennsylvania Numbers on Ice and Snow Accidents
As per the most recent ascertainable data from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), between 2011 and 2015, Pennsylvania was ranked as one of the top five deadliest states for ice and snow car accidents during the winter months. It averaged 65 fatal car accidents during those months, ranking it at number three on the deadliest list. Only Ohio and Michigan exceeded that number of fatalities. The NHTSA found that the top causes of winter motor vehicle accidents include:
- Poor visibility from heavy winter snow, sleet, rain, and fog
- Slippery conditions from black ice that we can’t or don’t see
- Improper vehicle maintenance like severely worn tires, inadequate defroster fans, and worn windshield wipers
- Snow left on a vehicle that flies off and hits another vehicle
What You Can Do To Avoid Snow Related Car Accidents
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) recommends that if you hear about bad winter weather coming your way, you should avoid any unnecessary travel. That alone helps PennDOT, counties, and municipalities clear roadways and make them safer and passable for you. If you believe that it’s necessary for you to travel from your home to someplace else, take some of the following advice into consideration:
- Slow down and leave a proper interval between you and the vehicle ahead of you, given weather and traffic conditions on the roadway
- Don’t try to stop or start suddenly
- If a road looks wet, it’s either wet or icy
- Beware of bridges and ramps that freeze faster than roadways
Recent Snow Related Car Accidents
The 2020-2021 winter season had fewer accidents due to COVID reducing traffic a bit, but the ice and snow still caused accidents. Here are just a few accidents that occurred:
- Winter Storm Gail: Two Killed in Pennsylvania Pileup – Weather.com
- Car Flipped on Ice on Woodhaven Road off Roosevelt Boulevard – ABC6 Philly
- 19-Car Crash in Burlington County on Garden State Parkway Caused by Icy Conditions – ABC6 Philly
- Speeding driver goes airborne in Frankford, vehicle slides for a block on its roof – Ice to blame – ABC6 Philly
Contact a Philadelphia Car Accident on Ice Lawyer Near You Today
We have experienced Philadelphia car accident on ice lawyers with a long history of representing clients involved in all types of automobile accidents. Contact The Pearce Law Firm Personal Injury & Accident Lawyers P.C. right away for a free consultation and case review after being injured in any snow or ice Pennsylvania motor vehicle collision.
See What Our Clients Have To Say
“If I could give more stars I would! Edith helped me through a huge life changing event in my life. She was there for me every step of the way, always picked up the phone whenever I had a question or concern. She was so knowledgeable and helpful every during it all. Going through Covid everything was closed down and she always kept me updated. All the staff is very courteous and knowledgeable as well. I really did have such a good experience. I’m so glad she was my lawyer.”
Rating 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
See our 4.8 rating and read more of our 78 reviews on Google!