Trenton NJ School Crossing Zone Safety
There are 22 public schools in Trenton and an equal number of private schools that teach the people of Trenton’s children. Many of those that get to school are bused, but a fair number walk to school and use school crossing zones.
School is back in session in early September at most of these schools.
Here are some School Zone Safety tips for drivers:
- Take extra care to look out for children in school zones, near playgrounds and parks, and in all residential areas. Assume they are nearby.
- Drivers should be aware that some children may be distracted by their phone or dart out into traffic. If you’re operating a vehicle, you are responsible for keeping the people around you safe.
- When you approach a school crosswalk, always give the right-of-way to pedestrians.
- Compensate for current weather conditions.
- Slow down near schools and school zones.
Here are some School Zone Safety tips for students:
- Kids can be sure to look both ways before crossing.
- Kids can be on the lookout for vehicles traveling too fast or being operated by distracted drivers.
- Children can stay in crosswalks.
- Older kids and teens can be sure to not be distracted by phones or headphones while crossing the street.