The ability to get almost anything delivered to your doorstep, anywhere in Philadelphia, makes for great convenience. But if you’re out on Philadelphia streets trying to get from point A to point B you might find the drawbacks hard to miss.
Those big, blue Amazon vans are just one of the examples of the fleets that take to the roads every morning to fulfill all of these orders. You like to see them at your front door, but seeing them during rush hour is another matter. It can be more than a nuisance when a driver distracted by his or her job causes a traffic accident.
Jump to: Common Mistakes Contributing to Amazon Delivery Accidents in Philadelphia,
Seeking Compensation With the Help from a Philadelphia Amazon Truck Accident Lawyer, Contact an Amazon Delivery Car Accident Lawyer Near You, Reviews
Amazon Delivering Traffic Dangers
The New York Times reported that in a five-year span drivers for Amazon have been in 60 accidents that resulted in injuries, including ten fatalities. That number may be misleading though. There are likely dozens more incidents but not all accidents involving their contracted vehicles get documented as involving Amazon. Sometimes only the driver is mentioned in accident reports.
Those big blue vans present a unique traffic threat when they’re in the lane beside you. They can weigh almost 3500lbs before they’re loaded up and are rated to haul around 5,000lbs more. Braking distances become longer the heavier a vehicle gets. The damage from one of these vans will be much greater than a normal car or SUV collision.
These drivers can be in a rush and distracted and that can lead to dangers for any driver traveling in Philadelphia. A mistake by a delivery worker can cause a crash and leave you with serious injuries. You might wonder if the company that hired the driver and sent them out on the streets can be held liable. An experienced Philadelphia Amazon Truck Accident Lawyer, like Edith Pearce, can help you with these questions. The Pearce Law Firm Personal Injury & Accident Lawyer P.C. can also make sure you get the maximum compensation for your pain and suffering.
Common Mistakes Contributing to Amazon Delivery Accidents in Philadelphia, PA
Distracted drivers on the clock. Motorists can be distracted by almost anything, but when drivers are concentrating on getting an order delivered, safety can be the last thing on their minds.
These delivery workers earn their money by getting orders to a customer quickly. Amazon drivers are monitored for their entire shift to check for productivity. This creates pressure that can lead to mistakes:
- Speeding to Make Deadlines – This pressure of same-day and next-day deliveries can lead to dangerous decisions on the freeway.
- Reckless Driving – A driver can be fatigued from work or personal stress. Their minds can wander from the task of safe driving. Even the navigation systems used by some drivers have been known to unintentionally recommend a hazardous move on the road.
- Distracted by Payload – Drivers can have a van or truck filled to capacity, obstructing vision, and possibly causing them to miss spotting other vehicles on the road. Those packages can spill too, causing a distraction.
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol – Normal drivers are considered to be DUI if they have a blood alcohol content of .08. Delivery drivers are held to a higher standard while on the job. They can’t be over .04 BAC.
What to Do if You’re Struck by an Amazon Delivery Truck
An Amazon Driver on the job may not notice a car in another lane, or right in front of them if they’re distracted. Accidents will happen while trucks are out for delivery.
If you are hit by a delivery vehicle see to your safety first. Make sure you aren’t in the path of another collision. If you can’t get up, wait for emergency crews to arrive. If you are able to rise, here are a few things to note on the scene:
- Call 911 – Get Medical Treatment. Give a full report to the police.
- Take Photos and Video – Document the location, the damaged car, the delivery vehicle, and any visible injuries.
- Collect information from the driver, any witnesses, and note any signage that identifies Amazon or any other third party delivery company that may be working for Amazon.
- Get checked out with your own doctor. Document any injuries from the scene or other symptoms you didn’t notice at first.
Seeking Compensation With the Help from a Philadelphia Amazon Truck Accident Lawyer
The city of Philadelphia allows a victim to file a claim for up to two years from the date of the accident.
The Amazon accident lawyers at The Pearce Law Firm Personal Injury & Accident Lawyer P.C. don’t recommend waiting until the end of this deadline to file. If you intend to file a claim, the sooner the better. Evidence and documents you’ll need for your case against Amazon will be easier to collect immediately after an accident. An attorney can help you with this important decision.
If you do decide to file a claim against a delivery company you may be able to get compensation for some of your hardships that you hadn’t considered. You may be able to recover things like short and long term medical expenses, past and future lost earnings, costs for disabilities rehab, and damages for emotional pain and depression.
Contact an Amazon Delivery Car Accident Lawyer Near You
If you’ve been injured in an accident caused by an Amazon driver you will need to make sure your financial and medical care needs are covered now and in the future. Filing a claim against a worldwide company will leave you facing their insurance agents and a team of lawyers. You’ll need an experienced Amazon accident lawyer on your side when they attempt to diminish your case and pay you as little as possible for your traumatic experience.
After any accident involving a serious injury, contact a highly rated Philadelphia Auto Accident Lawyer such as Edith Pearce. Unlike the huge firms with many different attorneys handling different aspects of your case, Edith Pearce is personally involved in every case that we handle. She genuinely cares about her clients and you will not be treated like just another case or file.
What Our Clients Say
“My attorney William Ringland did a fantastic job! Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a lawyer for personal injury!!!
Rating 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
See our 4.8 rating and read more of our 79 Google reviews.