Being an Amazon delivery driver can be an excellent opportunity for many, but there are always downsides to every job. As an Amazon delivery driver, you’ll be going onto other people’s property to deliver packages they’ve ordered. There are always stories about deliveries going wrong with people stealing packages or how delivery drivers do their job with feel-good stories or outrageous actions. Amazon delivery drivers face several hazards, so the next story you may hear could be a headline about an Amazon driver slips on ice. But what does happen if you slip and fall during an Amazon delivery?
Amazon Driver Slips on Ice: What to Do After a Slip and Fall in Philadelphia
There are some steps you should take if, when completing your Amazon delivery, you slip and fall.
- You’ll want to ensure that you report the accident. It needs to be documented that the accident happened, especially if there were no witnesses. Depending on whether or not you were injured, you may call emergency services if you need medical help or the non-emergency police number to report the accident. If the accident happened at an apartment complex or community that has a security guard, you should try to report it with security or someone in charge of receiving reports.
- If there were witnesses to your fall, get their names, phone numbers, and addresses in case you need their eyewitness accounts. There may also be video evidence, such as a doorbell or a surveillance camera in the lobby of a building, that investigators can locate.
- You should also report it to your dispatcher or employer by letting them know you were injured while delivering packages. When speaking with the dispatcher or employer, try not to speculate about your injuries when it comes to the severity or when you may return to work. You’ll want to ensure you have spoken to a medical professional who can advise you on this information. Depending on the scenario, you may find it helpful to speak with a legal representative before speaking with your employer.
- Not only should you document the accident by reporting it, but you should also gather evidence. Take pictures with your cell phone of the location where you feel to help document the cause. This information may help determine if negligence was a factor.
- Be sure to follow up with seeing a doctor if you don’t have an ambulance take you to the hospital. Waiting to get medical care can be detrimental to your health as some conditions may not be readily apparent right after the slip and fall accident, such as whiplash. In addition, not seeking care can signal that your injuries were not serious, even if they were, but you tried to work through them. Be sure to also follow up with your doctor and follow any medical treatments prescribed, such as physical therapy.
- Lastly, you’ll want to speak with a lawyer familiar with Amazon delivery slip and fall cases. It can be confusing to know what type of claim you’re eligible for and how to get compensated for your damages. A lawyer can help guide you through your options.
Following these steps works to protect you and your rights regarding your health and the potential for seeking compensation for your injury in the future.
What Kind of Claim Is an Amazon Delivery Driver Eligible For?
As an Amazon delivery driver, you may be unsure what kind of claim you’re eligible for after your slip and fall accident and may not seek compensation for your damages. If you’re an Amazon delivery driver that is considered an employee by Amazon or one of its subsidiaries you may qualify for worker’s compensation. If you work as an employee through one of Amazon’s independent Delivery Service Partners, you may qualify for worker’s compensation through the company that employs you to deliver Amazon packages. In addition to worker’s compensation, if negligence played a role in your accident, you may be eligible to have a third-party personal injury claim against the negligent party in addition to any worker’s compensation owed to you. Even if you are a gig worker or independent contractor, you may be able to have a personal injury lawsuit claim if negligence was involved. The property owner has a duty to either eliminate a hazard (for example by marking it or blocking it off) or warn you of a hazard they knew or should have known about.
Hazards for Amazon Delivery Drivers in Pennsylvania
As an Amazon delivery driver, you encounter numerous hazards while doing your deliveries. Still, one that you may need to consider is the different potentials for slip and fall injuries. Some safety hazards you may see on your route include:
- Icy stairs, sidewalks, driveways, and porches
- Sidewalks, stairs, driveways, or porches that are full of snow, can hide additional slipping or tripping hazards
- Wet leaves or grass clippings
- Tripping hazards, such as rugs and mats
- Cracked sidewalks
- Slippery or poorly maintained stairs and handrails
- Wet porches and recently mopped or polished floors
- Spilled drinks or other liquids
- Walkways that aren’t cleared
- Driveways or walkways that do not have sufficient lighting
Accidents happen, but home and business owners do have an obligation to make these areas safe for deliveries.
What Injuries Could an Amazon Delivery Driver Suffer From a Slip and Fall?
No matter if your slip and fall happened inside or outside, there is the potential for severe injuries. Some potential injuries that you may face after this type of accident include:
- Scrapes, cuts, and lacerations
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries, such as whiplash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries, such as concussions
The injuries you experience after your fall may be unique to your situation, but even if they don’t match this list, you may still have a claim.
Do You Need A Lawyer For an Amazon Delivery Slip and Fall Claim?
As an Amazon delivery driver, it can be complicated if you get injured while doing your job. Having a Pennsylvania slip and fall lawyer near you familiar with these types of cases is beneficial. At The Pearce Law Firm, Personal Injury and Accident Lawyers, P.C., we fight for you to get the compensation you deserve after your slip and fall accident. Contact us today to discuss your options utilizing our no-obligation initial consultation.